BMV Investigations investigates fraudulent activity related to BMV-issued items and supporting other law enforcement and criminal justice investigations.
BMV Investigations also performs inspections of motor vehicle dealers and special use plate holders, providing facts and findings to the Ohio Motor Vehicle Dealer Board, and when criminal activity is discovered, to the court system.
To register a vehicle and obtain license plates in Ohio, an out-of-state title must be converted to an Ohio title. An out-of-state VIN inspection can be obtained at any Ohio deputy registrar license agency or any licensed Ohio motor vehicle dealership (call ahead for fee).
If the vehicle is operable and has a valid registration, take the vehicle to any Ohio deputy registrar license agency for an out-of-state inspection.
Non-Operational/Non-Registered Vehicles Only
If the vehicle is non-operational and/or non-registered continue to read the following prompts.
- Inspections may take 2-3 weeks for completion.
- If the vehicle is not in a safe/accessible location, the inspections may not be completed.
- The vehicle has to be located in the state of Ohio for an out-of-state inspection to be completed.
- We will not schedule an out-of-state inspection on your vehicle if the vehicle already has an Ohio title.
The vehicle must be non-operational and/or non-registered to submit a request for BMV Investigations to schedule and complete an out-of-state inspection.
Email your request to BMVInvestigationsOSI@dps.ohio.gov with the following information:
- Your name and contact information
- Year, make, model of the vehicle to be inspected
- Specific address where the vehicle is located
- Do you have a title for the vehicle?
- Do you know where the VIN is located on the vehicle?
BMV Investigators routinely provide free continuing education training to law enforcement and criminal justice partners. Subject matter includes fraudulent identity, document recognition, and registration and title enforcement. To request training, email us at BMVInvestigationsTraingReq@dps.ohio.gov.