Titling an Imported Vehicle in Ohio
A County Clerk of Courts Title Office will only issue a certificate of title for an imported vehicle when an individual submits proof the vehicle complies with federal motor vehicle safety requirements and satisfies all requirements listed below.
Prior to completing the title transfer, the transferor and transferee must verify the accuracy of the odometer listing and all other information on the certificate of title.
What Do I Need to Bring to the Title Office?
- Bill of sale
- Authentic source of ownership document (Canadian or foreign registration/title)
- U.S. Customs and Border Protection Entry (form 7501), stamped or signed
- U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) document (Declaration Form HS-7) stating vehicle meets all safety standards
- Original bond release letter from U.S. Department of Transportation National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) to verify federal motor vehicle safety standards have been, or will be, met (if applicable); any other requirements specified on the Declaration Form HS-7 must also be met
- Evidence that a timely certification of compliance was submitted to NHTSA (i.e., one hundred and twenty (120) calendar days from the vehicle’s date of entry into the country) may be used if NHTSA did not issue a Bond Release Letter or otherwise respond to the certification of compliance within thirty (30) days of NHTSA’s receipt of such certification, provided all other requirements are met.
- Odometer statement(s) signed by both the seller and purchaser in accordance with federal and Ohio requirements
- An out-of-state vehicle identification number (VIN) inspection; inspections can be obtained at any Ohio deputy registrar license agency (click HERE for current fee) or new car dealership (call ahead for fee)
- English translations of all documents written in a foreign language; translations must be done by an accredited institution and submitted on that institution’s letterhead
- Payment for title fees
- Sales tax on the purchase price if applicable (sales tax rates by county are available HERE)
Ohio Revised Code: 2921.13(5)