ODPS | Bureau of Motor Vehicles

Welcome to the ODPS | Bureau of Motor Vehicles

Skip Navigation

Please Note: You are viewing the non-styled version of this Web page. Either your browser does not support Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) or it is disabled. We suggest upgrading your browser to the latest version of your favorite Internet browser.


ODPS Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles All-Purpose Vehicles (APVs), Off-Road Motorcycles, and Snowmobiles

ODPS | BMV | Security Suspension

All-Purpose Vehicles (APVs), Off-Road Motorcycles, and Snowmobiles

Listed below are acceptable types of evidence that may be used by the Clerk of Courts of Common Pleas Title Offices for title issuance on APVs and Off-Road Motorcycles for current owners.

Buyers of Off-Highway Motorcycles & APVs must have an assigned title from the seller in order to obtain a title. 

One of the following:
          • Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin or Importer's Certificate of Origin;
          • Another jurisdiction's certificate of title in applicant's name, or assigned to Ohio resident;
          • A current or expired registration issued by Ohio or any other jurisdiction;
          • A notarized bill of sale;
          • A current insurance policy or declaration page that describes the vehicle by vehicle identification number (VIN), year, make, model, and issued to the applicant in this or another state;
          • A warranty order in applicant's name that describes the vehicle by VIN, year, make, and model;
          • A security agreement that lists the owner, lender, VIN, year, and make.

Two or more of the following:
          • A required out-of-state inspection obtained from a Deputy Registrar license agency;
          • A sworn, notarized affidavit declaring ownership of the vehicle by the applicant;
          • A sworn, notarized affidavit by other persons attesting to applicant's ownership;
          • Receipts in applicant's name from the purchase of parts or components;
          • Photographs and or pencil tracings of the VIN.
ODPS | BMV | Titling Information

APV, Off-road Motorcycle , and Snowmobile Facts

          • Legislation requiring the registration of APV's, off-road motorcycles, and snowmobiles became effective July 1, 1999.
          • Dealers are required to make application for an Ohio title for all APV's and off-road motorcycles within 30 days from the date of purchase by a customer.
          • Snowmobiles will continue to be untitled vehicles.
          • Before an APV or off-road motorcycle may be registered, it must be titled.
          • First-time renewal of an APV or off-road motorcycle registration will require the presentation of an Ohio title.
          • A new 30-day tag will be made available for customers to purchase if they wish to use their vehicle while waiting for a title to be secured.
          • The APV/off-road motorcycle 30-day tag will be different from the current 30-day tag that is issued for other motor vehicles.  The APV/off-road motorcycle 30-day tag will be constructed of material that will enable it to remain legible and relatively intact despite the environmental conditions to which it is likely to be exposed during the 30-day period for which it is valid.
          • 30-day tags will be available for purchase from dealerships licensed to sell APV's and off-road motorcycles.
          • 30-day tags will not be issued for snowmobiles (snowmobiles are not titled).
          • In order for residents of other states to use their APV/off-road motorcycle in Ohio, they are required to purchase a one-year registration unless they are covered under the certificate of reciprocity as specified in the Ohio Revised Code (ORC) 4503.37.
          • Effective June 7, 2015, all purpose vehicles (APVs) will be required to have a license plate and registration sticker.
          • The license plate and registration sticker are permanent and must remain with the vehicle, displayed in plain sight. A $34.75 registration fee will be collected for the issuance of a three-year registration. All registrations are for three years and expire on Dec. 31, in the third year after the date of issuance. Application for renewal of a registration may be made no earlier than 90 days prior to expiration. An Ohio Certificate of Title must be presented to register an off-highway motorcycle or APV.
          • APV owners will be required to replace their APV decal with an APV license plate with any transaction until all decals have been replaced. Any current decals remain valid until their expiration, when they must be replaced with an APV license plate. 
          • Registration certificates for snowmobiles, off-highway motorcycles, minibikes, and trail bikes will continue to be accompanied by an alphanumeric decal that is applied to the vehicle. No registration is required for APV’s that are used primarily for agricultural purposes when the owner qualifies for the current agricultural use valuation tax credit, unless it is to be used on any public land, trail or right-of-way.
          • APV license plates do not entitle the rider to operate the APV on public roadways. Laws regarding operation of APV’s have not changed.
ODPS | BMV | Security Suspension

Golf Carts and Other Underspeed Vehicles

Ohio Revised Code (O.R.C.) 4503.10

An applicant who wishes to register a golf cart or other USV must proceed as described below.  A USV is a four-wheeled vehicle other than a truck that either is originally designed and constructed with a top attainable speed of 20 mph or less, or is not originally designed and constructed for operation on a street or highway.  Most golf carts are USVs.

          • The sheriff or chief of police of the jurisdiction where the vehicle is to be used should  send a letter to the Ohio BMV, Titling Support & Dealer Licensing Section, P.O. Box 16520, Columbus, Ohio 43216-6520, certifying that he or she has a program of inspecting golf carts and other USVs.
          • The sheriff or chief of police in that jurisdiction (city, village, or township) provides the applicant with a certificate of inspection (on their agency letterhead) that includes the inspection requirements of the Ohio Administrative Code (O.A.C.) Chapter 4501:2-1.
          • Go to the Clerk of Courts Title Office in any county. The clerk will verify the inspection certificate accompanies the title evidence and the vehicle inspection requirements of O.A.C. 4501:2-1.  If verified and everything else is in order, the clerk will issue the title.
          • Obtain insurance.
          • Take the title to a deputy registrar in that county.  If all is in order, the deputy registrar will issue license plates.
          • Operate the golf cart or other USV in accordance with O.R.C. Chapter 4511. and with the equipment required by O.R.C. Chapter 4513.