ODPS | Bureau of Motor Vehicles

Welcome to the ODPS | Bureau of Motor Vehicles

Skip Navigation

Please Note: You are viewing the non-styled version of this Web page. Either your browser does not support Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) or it is disabled. We suggest upgrading your browser to the latest version of your favorite Internet browser.


ODPS Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles Non-Renewable/Non-Transferable Driver License


On Wednesday, May 15, 2002 Senate Bill 184 was signed into law requiring the Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) to verify an applicant's legal presence in the United States.

Effective May 26, 2002, Non-U.S. citizens must present appropriate documentation issued by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) in order to obtain an Ohio identification card or a driver license. A Non-renewable/Non-transferable identification card or driver license is issued with the same expiration date that appears on the appropriate document issued by the USCIS and will not exceed four (4) years. A non-renewable/non-transferable driver license allows individuals to drive in Ohio and other states, but it cannot be renewed or transferred to another state. The individual will be required to present current documents issued by USCIS and proof of Ohio residence street address at the time of every identification card or driver license issuance and will not exceed four (4) birthdays. This rule also applies to those under the age of 21.

Non-U.S. citizens who have been granted permanent residency and present a valid I-551 (green card) will be issued a regular Ohio driver license which will expire on their 4th birthday from the date of issuance. All non-U.S. citizens who are permanent residents will be required to present their unexpired I-551 (green card) and proof of Ohio residence street address at the time of renewal.

Note: Acceptable documents for proof of U.S. citizenship or legal presence:

            • CERTIFICATE OF BIRTH – either an original or certified copy, with a seal and issued by an appropriate governmental agency of any state, territory, or possession of the United States, but no Puerto Rican birth certificates issued before July 1, 2015.
            • A NATURALIZED DOCUMENTS – issued by the United States
            • Appropriate United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) documents which are original and valid, or like documents issued by the successor agency to the USCIS showing the date of legal presence.